Thursday 14 July 2011

Tempo Thursday and a few tasty treats

There was a bit of sunshine in London today when I headed out for my 5 mile tempo run. My plan was 1 mile warm up, 3 miles at half marathon pace (9:09), and then 1 mile easy.


Felt like I was doing reasonably well at keeping pace but pushed quite hard on the last 'fast' mile and even got a stitch. I was getting tired and thought I was slowing down!  And I'm positive my Garmin was telling me my pace was 9:11/mile with about a quarter mile to go. Need to work on staying calm and trusting my pace. And traffic lights are totally annoying--you have a good rhythm and suddenly you have to stop for ages! I never feel quite the same after a light (although sometimes I'm glad for the chance to catch my breath)!

On a tastier note, I received my order from The Feed Station yesterday! Now that I'm back into my long runs I need to start practicing with various kinds of fuel so I got a few things to try.


Clockwise from the top left:

High5 IsoGel - I haven't tried these before wanted to give them a go because they are supposed to be thinner than most gels and designed to be taken without water. Would be thrilled if this were true because I always struggle to gulp down gels and then drink all that water afterwards! I got 1 regular and 1 with caffeine. Both have electrolytes.

Jelly Belly Sport Beans - I've used these before and I really like them--mostly because they are just like candy! I've had the lemon-lime flavor which tastes great, and I usually eat some for quick energy if I don't have time for breakfast before an early run. This time I'm testing out the raspberry flavor and cherry, which also has caffeine. 

Power Bar Protein Bars - I don't know about you, but I never feel very hungry after a long run. I got these protein bars for recovery because I hope they'll be easy to get myself to eat one. They definitely make them sound tasty, with flavors like chocolate and cappuccino caramel crisp!

Clif Builders Bar - another protein bar for recovery. Thought I would try this chocolate bar too since Clif bars are all natural and supposed to be some of the best tasting bars out there.

Power Bar Gel with Fruit Juice - these have been my gels of choice for long runs. Not too much in a packet, the flavors I've tried have been nice, and I've never felt sick after using them. Also, I can find them pretty easily in sports or nutrition stores if I forget to order them. This one is a new formulation with fruit juice so I thought it was worth a try.

Nuun Hydration Tabs - I've been using these since a friend suggested them. Makes a great electrolyte drink without any carbs.

Looking forward to testing some of this out on Sunday!

0 comments:

Post a Comment