The highlights for me in 2011:
- Running again after my injury - In January I started running again 'for real' after an injury in July 2010. It was like starting from scratch with just a few miles at a time, a few days a week. I'm so glad that I was able to come back even better than before, and most importantly...with NO INJURIES! HOORAY!
- PBs in both the 10K (56.43) and half marathon (2.01.43) - Happy to know that I'm getting faster. Slowly, but surely!
- Hitting my highest weekly volume ever - Before this year my highest weekly volume averaged around 20-25 miles per week. This year I hit my highest ever weekly volume at 46.34 miles, more than I ever thought I could do! I've been doing 40+ miles a week for almost a month now and I hope to keep it as my baseline.
- Running 1000 miles in a year - This was never a goal for me since I had just started running again in January. But when I saw how close I was with just 10 days to go in 2011, I had to give it a try! I'm so proud that I was able to push myself to get the miles in. It was down to the final day but I ended with year with 1000.96 miles! Yay!
- Discovering the Twitter Running Family - In the short time that I've been on Twitter, I've been amazed at the support I get from my fellow runners. The advice and encouragement that I've received has been wonderful. And most of all, hearing about all of your accomplishments has been so inspiring. It's been great to be a part of such an amazing community so a big thanks to all of you!
Of course, every year has to have a few lows but there is only one that really glares out at me:
I didn't accomplish my goal of running a sub-2 hour half.
I guess I could look at this as a BIG FAIL. It really was my only goal for 2011 and I didn't do it. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed but I'm trying to put a positive spin on it. I learned a lot of big lessons trying to get there this year, and now I'm more resolved than ever to work hard and blow this goal away in 2012!
Overall I'm proud of what I've accomplished in 2011. It's been amazing to discover that I could do more than I ever thought I could....and now I'm excited to keep pushing myself with new challenges. And while I knew that I loved running, it's really become a regular part of my life. I don't ever want to be without it.
It's been an unforgettable 2011, but I'm determined to make 2012 even better.
Happy New Year! Here's to your health, happiness...and inspired running!